This is an absolute favorite party dessert that I make for all of my get-togethers with my girlfriends. I am actually not allowed to show up to game night or book club without these in tow, so I have gotten pretty good at making them. I won’t say that they are “easy”, but really the hardest part of this recipe is waiting for the chocolate to freeze and chill! The truffles are really just chocolate melted twice, but because you freeze the first batch of chocolate and then pour more chocolate over them, they come out with a soft chocolate center. I do use liqueur in mine, but you can use a non-alcoholic extract if you desire.
Ingredients:8 squares of semi-sweet bakers chocolate 1/4 cup heavy cream 2 TBS liqueur of choice (see below for suggestions) 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolte chips 1/4 cup butter-flavored Crisco
1. Take 8 squares of semi-sweet baking chocolate and melt it over medium low heat in a saucepan. When the chocolate is melted, but not burned, add 1/8 cup Heavy Cream and 2-3 Tablespoons of your favorite liqueur. See the tips below for some suggestions on what types to try. My favorite is the mint!
2. Place the saucepan in the fridge for 15-20 minutes. The waiting is the hardest part! Once this mixture cools, you will be able to spoon it out. Spoon out small balls of it onto parchment paper on a plate and put them in the freezer. Let freeze for at least 2 hours. (I have done this for less time, but they are sure to be very frozen in 2 hours).
3. Now it’s time to melt some more chocolate! Use one half of a small bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips (about 4 oz.) and ¼ cup of butter flavored shortening and melt them in the small saucepan.
4. Remove the frozen chocolate balls from the freezer. Using a spoon again, spoon the newly heated chocolate over the frozen chocolate as to cover the balls, but don’t just pour it on!
5. Place these back in the fridge for about an hour to cool the second layer of chocolate.
6. If you want to pretty these up, make a quick and easy frosting. Take ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar and a few teaspoons of water. Add the water slowly and stir to make the frosting. Put this in a Ziploc bag and cut the tip off of a corner and drizzle over the Truffles for a pretty effect!!!
7. Here are some suggestions for liqueurs that work great with this: Green Creme de Menth, Chambord, Grand Marinier, Peppermint Schnapps, Kahlua, Baily's Irish Cream. Have fun!